OLDHAM COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION POLICY - MEETINGS OF THE BOARD - 1020
REFERENCES: KRS 160.270; KRS 61.805; KRS 61.810; KRS 61.815; KRS 61.840
1020.06 Appearing before the Board - Any person or group desiring to appear before the Board is subject to the following:
- Appearance - The Board will designate a portion of each regular meeting to hear public comment concerning matters within the Board’s authority.
- Types of matters to come before the Board in general should be policy matters or specific matters governed by the Board; rather than administrative, or matters required by statute.
- All persons wishing to speak during Public Expression must register prior to Public Expression. Registration is an acknowledgement that the speaker is familiar with and will be bound by the Public Expression policy.
- Materials intended for consideration by the members should be left with the secretary at the time of registration. No materials are to be distributed directly to Board members or to others in attendance at the meeting.
- Any group appearing before the Board shall select a spokesperson who shall address the Board. Other members of the group may do so with the permission of the Chairman. Persons who have signed up to speak may decline to speak when their name is called but individuals may not yield their allotted time to other registered speakers.
- Presentation shall be limited to three minutes unless otherwise indicated by the Chairman in order to maintain the order of the meeting.
- The Board encourages interested persons to address concerns in an appropriate manner, to the Board. Presentations to the Board are expected to be courteous, civil and respectful. The Board will address speakers using the same standard of behavior. The Board reserves the right to limit or terminate discussion on any subject introduced by an individual or group in order to maintain order.
- Although Public Expression is not a question and answer session, the Board reserves the right to provide a response from any Board member or Superintendent following a speaker’s presentation or at the conclusion of Public Expression.
- Public criticism of individual staff members, or individual Board members is prohibited. Concerns about individual staff members should be directed to the staff member or his or her immediate supervisor. Since no individual Board member may act on behalf of the Board, concerns about action of the Board should be directed to the Board as a whole.
Adopted Oldham County Board of Education - November 17, 1975
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - February 28, 1977
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - August 7, 1978
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - July 21, 1980
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - July 26, 1982
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - July 5, 1983
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - June 19, 1989
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - October 8, 1990
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - March 23, 1998
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - February 22, 1999
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - December 13, 2010
Revised Oldham County Board of Education - December 17, 2012
PDF Version: Oldham County Board of Education Policy 1020.06