WHAT IS THE JUNIOR LEADERSHIP ACADEMY?
The Junior Leadership Academy offers Oldham County 8th grade students a chance to meet with other students from across the district to develop their leadership skills. We are scheduled to meet six times this school year, during the school day, to study and to explore various aspects of leadership including what it means to be a good leader, types of leaders and putting the things we discuss into practice.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THE JUNIOR LEADERSHIP ACADEMY?
Junior Leadership Academy is open to any Oldham County 8th Graders. Six to ten students from each middle school will be selected to participate in JLA.
WHEN DOES THE JUNIOR LEADERSHIP ACADEMY MEET?
JLA will meet six times during the 2019-20 school year. JLA meeting dates will be as follows:
- September 26, 2019
- October 10, 2019
- November 14, 2019
- January 9, 2020
- February 13, 2020
- March 12, 2020
WHERE WILL JLA MEET?
JLA meetings will be held at the Arvin Education Center. Each JLA session will be held from 8:45 AM to 12:45 PM. Lunch will be provided at all the sessions.
WILL TRANSPORTATION BE PROVIDED FOR JLA?
JLA participants must provide his/her own transportation to the Arvin Center for each session. An OCS bus will take students back to their respective schools.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR JLA?
- JLA Application is available on Google Form HERE. Applications are accepted from August 1-22, 2019. Link is available on Facebook, Twitter, and on the OCS website. An email was also sent Aug 1 to all 8th graders via Infinite Campus Messenger.
- Two recommendations are required as part of the application. It is the responsibility of the student to choose and provide them with the appropriate form accessible on the application or click the following link: JLA Recommendation Form. At least ONE recommendation must be from a teacher. Parent recommendations will NOT be accepted.
- Application and both recommendations are due by August 22, 2019. Paper copies accepted if received by August 22, 2019. Send to Janet Fraser by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or to 7105 Floydsburg Rd, Crestwood, KY 40026
- Each school’s administrative leadership team will forward the top 12 applicants to the district level by August 30, 2019.
- JLA members will be announced on September 9, 2019.