KENWOOD STATION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL COUNCIL POLICY
OPERATING COUNCIL MEETINGS- 1002
a. Types Council members shall attend three (3) types of meetings:
(1) Regular- meetings held on a set day of the month and at a set time of day,
(2) Special- meetings scheduled as they are needed between regular scheduled meetings,
(3) Training- meetings designed for council members to acquire knowledge and/or develop skills.
Special meetings may be called by the principal at his/her discretion or upon the request in writing from three council members.
b. Schedule of Meetings The Kenwood Station Elementary School Council shall annually establish a schedule of meetings for the coming year at a regularly scheduled meeting in July. The length of a meeting shall not exceed two (2) hours unless the Council agrees to extend the meeting to complete the agenda. If agenda items have not been addressed by the end of a meeting, a special meeting may be called to complete the unfinished business.
c. Agenda Each regular and special council meeting shall operate by an agenda. The chairperson shall form the agenda with items provided by council members. The agenda shall be approved by the council at the beginning of the meeting. Other items may be added to the agenda with approval from the council. The agenda for regular meeting shall be written and disseminated to council members. Teachers and executive officers of the PTA shall be informed of special meetings by the most convenient method.
d. Chairperson The principal shall serve as chairperson at all meetings. The council shall not meet in the absence of the principal. The responsibilities of the principal as chairperson shall not be delegated to any other member of the council.
e. Decision Making The method of making decisions and adopting policies shall be by consensus. An effort shall be made to thoroughly discuss all possible alternatives, provide each member ample opportunity to be heard, and make a final decision that can be supported by the group. If a Council member feels a conflict of interest in a proposed action of the council, that member may remove himself or herself from the discussion and decision making process.
In the event consensus cannot be reached, no decision will be made and a policy will not be adopted. The principal will therefore address the situation in question under the directive of district policy.
When deadlines are set by Board policy which have an impact on decisions made by the Council and when the Council is unable to reach consensus regarding these decisions, the principal shall be responsible for making these decisions.
f. Quorum Four (4) members of the Council, including at least one teacher and one parent member, shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
g. Minutes Minutes of all regular and special council meetings shall be recorded in writing and kept on file in the principal’s office. Minutes of the previous meetings shall be reviewed and approved by the Council at the beginning of each meeting.
h. Open Meetings The meetings of the Council at which any public business is discussed or at which any action is taken by the Council are declared to by public meetings, open to the public at all times, except for discussion of proposed or pending litigation against or on behalf of the Council, to allow the principal to confer with the Council on recommendations for employment, or to allow the Council to deliberate on the selection of a principal. All decisions made by the Council shall be made in open session. The Council shall abide by the state’s open meetings act (KRS 61.805-61.850)
i. Input from Non- Council Those who are in attendance at the Council meetings who are members Kenwood Station Elementary School and/or parents/guardians of Kenwood Station Elementary School students, shall be provided an opportunity to discuss policy issues under consideration by the Council by the following procedures:
(1) Sign-in sheets will be provided, by topic, for those persons designated above to indicate their desire to speak to an issue on the agenda. Speakers are to register as they arrive at the meeting to determine order of speaking.
(2) Expressions are limited to the time allocated by the chairperson, based upon the number of persons willing to speak and the time available within this agenda.
(3) Expressions must be germane to topic and within the authority of the Council. Public criticisms of individual students or staff members are not allowed. Concerns about individual, or their immediate supervisor.
(4) Public expression is not a question and answer period. Speakers who express questions will have the question noted with follow-up by the appropriate school staff.
j. Recording Secretary The principal or designee shall serve as the recording secretary for the Council. The principal shall be responsible for:
(1) Recording in writing all minutes of meeting
(2) Processing minutes
Proposed – Kenwood Station Elementary School Council- September, 2005
Approved- Kenwood Station Elementary School Council- November, 2005
Revised- Kenwood Station Elementary School Council- April, 2015