Harmony Summer Learning Log
Summer 2020 Learning Challenge
Who: Harmony Huskies, Grades K-5
What: Get excited about Harmony’s Annual Summer Learning Challenge! Keep the faucet of ACTIVE LEARNING flowing over the summer! Active learning occurs anytime you engage your brain through reading, writing, talking, problem-solving, listening, and reflecting.
When: May 20-August 13… SUMMER BREAK!!!
Where: Anywhere and Everywhere! That is what is so great about learning!
Why: Although we are taking a break from school… we never want to take a break from LEARNING! Research shows kids who don’t keep their brains actively learning and practicing what they know over the summer can lose as much as 3 months of the growth they made during the school year! You never, ever, ever want that to happen to you!
How: The challenge is easy!
1) Keep your brain active by READING, THINKING MATHEMATICALLY, and WRITING as much as you can!
2) Submit one entry in Harmony's Learning Log for every 30 minutes you engage your brain in active learning!
3) Over the summer, you can complete active learning activities. Submit an entry on Harmony’s Summer Learning Log: shorturl.at/gpuvC
4) When we return to school, all Harmony Huskies will meet in the gym to see which grade level has the MOST ENTRIES!
5) The grade level with the MOST ENTRIES in Harmony's Summer Learning Log will win a Creasey Mahan Field Day and Picnic Lunch!
6) If you have any questions, please contact Jessica Bailey at email@example.com.
Examples of Active Learning Activities:
- Read a book to your mom.
- Spend time learning about something that interests you (the Grand Canyon, birds, presidents, Europe, etc.)
- Write a note to a friend for their birthday.
- Help your dad plant a garden.
- Login to Khan Academy or NWEA Skillbuilders.