Oldham County schools believe there are students whose intellectual capacity, rate of learning, and potential for creative contributions demand experiences apart from, but connected to, the regular classroom. We are committed to the belief that these gifted students require guidance in discovering, challenging, and realizing their potential. Under this philosophy it becomes the responsibility of the entire staff, in partnership with parents and the school system, to meet the needs of gifted students.
GATES Goals at Goshen
Our goals for gifted and talented education at Goshen Elementary and in the Oldham County School district are:
- To provide each child with a differentiated, appropriate educational experience in order to help him/her achieve maximum potential
- To aid each child in understanding and coping more successfully with his/her unique talents and in demonstrating a positive regard for his/her own talents and contributions of others
- To assist each child in becoming self-disciplined and responsible for his/her class work and behavior
- To make each year a positive learning experience for each child
In accordance with Kentucky State law, Goshen Elementary has established a GATES committee, chaired by the GATES Coordinator, and comprised of an administrator, counselor, library media specialist, special education coordinator, and four classroom teachers.
This committee is responsible for the following tasks:
- Screening and nominating 4th and 5th Grade students for Gifted and Talented identification;
- Reviewing and evaluating gifted and talented services
- Reviewing professional development needs of staff
Gifted Student Services Plan (GSSP)
A Gifted Student Services Plan (GSSP) will be developed for each identified 4thand 5th grade GT student. This plan will identify various classroom and school level service options that best meets the needs of each child. These service options may include, but are not limited to cluster grouping, collaborative teaching, flexible grouping experiences, and differentiated learning experiences via independent study, curriculum compacting, or subject area acceleration.
Additional GATES Information
GATES Coordinator: Dana Graham firstname.lastname@example.org
Oldham County School District GATES website