OverDrive eBooks - http://oldhamelementary.lib.overdrive.com/
Oldham County School District offers a great resource called Overdrive for students in grades K-12. Overdrive is a digital distributer of eBooks and audiobooks. Using their computer logins, students and staff can access and read eBooks on a desktop computer, tablet or mobile device with Internet capabilities.
Direction for OverDrive on a Mobile Device or Tablet:
- Download the OverDrive app (FREE) or Sora by Overdrive app (FREE) on you device.
- Launch the app.
- Click “Under 13 years old? Continue >”.
- Click on “Add a Library” and search for “Oldham County Elementary Schools”.
- Click on “Oldham County Elementary Schools”.
- Log in using your student credentials (usually first and middle initial and full last name (Example: jdsmith)
- Students can use the search box to find a book by title or author. They can use the “collection” tab to search for newly added titles. The “level” tab allows a Lexile search, and the “subject” tab allows a search by a favorite genre.
- Once a student finds a book they want, they click “borrow”. I advise students to download books (ePub or Kindle if that is the device) because the book can be read without using data minutes or without the need for Wi-Fi or hot spots.
- If a book isn’t available, students can place a “hold” on it by using a parent’s email address.
- To return a downloaded book, students tap and hold the icon for the book on their bookshelf. Choose “return” from the selection. The book will still appear on their bookshelf as a record of something they have read, but it will have been checked in electronically. If the book was “read in browser”, the return button will be visible.
- Elementary students do not have access to all books owned by the district. If a book is above age-level appropriateness, the system automatically denies permission.
Students can borrow up to THREE books at a time, however due to limited availability I ask that students only borrow ONE at a time for a period of up to 14 days. Students can renew books by clicking the “renew” button that shows up 3 days before a books is due.
***The Oldham County Public Library also provides OverDrive accessibility to all its patrons. You can add it to your library just as you added Oldham County Elementary Schools. You must be a card holder to check out eBooks from OCPL. Please ask them or more information on how to check out these books***
Please contact me if you have any questions!
Library Media Specialist
Camden Station Elementary