|String Orchestra Program for Middle School Students
The Oldham County Schools Arts Center offers a "String Orchestra Program" at each of the middle schools.
Who Can Join the Orchestra?
As a 6th, 7th, or 8th grader, students can take String Orchestra as one of their fun and exciting after school electives.
NO experience is necessary!The Oldham County Schools Arts Center offers a "String Orchestra Program" at each of the middle schools.
Does Everyone who signs up for orchestra get in?
Yes! EVERYONE who wants to be in Orchestra can participate!
What does it cost?
The program is FREE. However, there are two things that will need to be rented or purchased.
- A Method Book: Essential Elements for Strings, 2000, which you can purchase at any of the retailers mentioned below.
- An instrument: There are several sources for string instruments, but most students rent an instrument. There are two local companies that offer these instruments:
Lane and Edwards Violins: (502) 758-0391 www.markedwardsbowedinstruments.com
Crestwood Music Shop: (502) 265-5048 www.CrestwoodMusicShop.com
You can choose from any of the following instruments:
- The violin is the “small” of the orchestra family. Because its strings are the shortest, it produces the highest sound. Violins can play sitting down or standing up because it’s played on the violinist’s left shoulder – even if you’re right-handed!
- The viola is the “medium” of the orchestra, and a very important member of the orchestra. Because it is bigger than the violin, with longer strings, it makes a rich, warm sound that is lower in pitch. It's a little heavier than the violin, but it is still played on the violist's left arm.
- The cello is the “large” of the orchestra and plays even lower than the viola. To support its longer strings, it's more than twice as big as the viola - so cellists sit down, resting the instrument upright against their bodies. The cello section of the orchestra makes a big, powerful sound.
- The bass is the “super size” of the orchestra and acts as the foundation. These deep instruments add the lower notes to the orchestra sound. The instrument is often taller than the person that plays it! Because the orchestra depends on the bass section, we need lots of extra adventurous kids to play the bass!
Click on the link below for detailed Information and Registration Form for the "Strings Orchestra Program" at your school.
East Oldham Middle School String Orchestra
North Oldham Middle School String Orchestra
Oldham County Middle School String Orchestra
South Oldham Middle School String Orchestra
|NEW students may click to register online.
|RETURNING students may click to register online.