Beth Johnson, 6th Grade Math Teacher, Discovery Team Leader firstname.lastname@example.org
502.241.0320, ext. 140
MATHCOUNTS is open to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. It is a national program that encourages interest in mathematics and science among all middle school students and is locally sponsored by the Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers.
- MATHCOUNTS promotes math achievement with all the challenges of a school sporting event.
- Student “mathletes” train individually and in teams and may compete in local, state, and national competitions.
- Prizes are awarded at all levels.
- Trophies and a $500 college scholarship are awarded at each of the 13 chapter competitions in Kentucky.
- The four top winners at the state competition receive a full-tuition, four-year scholarship to WKU, UK or U of L, plus an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C., for the national finals.
- State competition winners in 5th through 10th each win a $1,500-a-year scholarship to either UK or U of L.
Why should you participate in MathCounts? It provides students with the following benefits:
- a challenging and fun activity that helps you in your math classes;
- a chance to share common interests with new and often long-lasting friends;
- an opportunity to meet students from other schools;
- the experience of developing teamwork skills;
- a chance to vie for scholarships and prizes;
- a sense of accomplishment that comes from setting and achieving goals;
- an opportunity to explore mathematics and mathematics-related careers; and
- a chance to explore cool mathematics that isn’t always taught in middle school classrooms.
SOMS is able to take a team of four students and six individual competitors to the Louisville Chapter competition on Saturday, February 15th. At the beginning of February, the team and individuals will be selected from the group of students participating in the weekly practice sessions. These decisions will be made based on your performance on a practice test and your commitment to attending the club practices.
SCHEDULE IS ON THE BACK-------------->
South Oldham Middle School’s MATHCOUNTS Club will meet once a week, during October, November, December, January and February for practice. At the end of January, all participants will take a test to determine the competitors. We will take a team of 4 members, along with 6 more individual competitors to the competition on February 15th at U of L. If you qualify for the team or as an individual competitor, you are encouraged to attend the session each week, to get the most practice in before competition. As sometimes occurs, scheduling conflicts are unavoidable. Please notify Ms. Johnson, in advance, if you are unable to attend a practice.
If a student does not qualify for the competition as a team member or individual participant, they may continue their involvement with the MathCounts Club for enrichment and additional Math practice. I am able to take additional students to the competition as “unofficial” competitors, which in some cases, would lead to being part of the next year’s team.
Practices will be held on Wednesday afternoons from 3:45 to 5:00 p.m. There is NO bus transportation available for after school activities. Students will need to be picked up by their parents no later than 5:10 p.m. If a student is picked up late twice, their ability to participate may be in jeopardy.
PRACTICE SCHEDULE – All practices will be held in Room 140. Please come prepared with paper, pencil, and a calculator. Extra practices may be added on an as-needed basis as the competition nears.
Oct. 23 - No Practice/No School - Fall Break
Nov. 27- No Practice/No School - Thanksgiving Break
Jan. 29 3:45 – 5:00 p.m. COMPETITION TEST WILL BE GIVEN (Must be present to take if you’re interested in being considered for the team.)
Feb. 15 (Saturday) CHAPTER COMPETITION DAY – 8:00 a.m. at U of L
March 22 -- STATE COMPETITION – at University of Louisville, JB Speed School of Engineering - For those qualifying at the Chapter Competition.