Click here for the updated Dress Code!
December 18, 2014
THIS WEEK AT SOUTH
- National Art Honor Society Holiday Arts and Crafts sale starts next week December 15th through the 19th after school from 4 to 4:30 PM in room 210. Smaller items will be sold during lunch, in the lobby, all week as well. All proceeds support cash awards for the Extravaganza Art and Talent Show. All arts and crafts are handmade by students and sponsors. The selection includes crocheted scarves, hats, boot cuffs, purses, cuff bracelets, fingerless gloves, glass jewelry, slumped wine bottles and coke bottle serving trays, ornaments...and much more.
- Attention Seniors: You will have a 5 minute early dismissal this Friday.
- Come celebrate Navidad this Friday the 19th with a piñata and The Grinch in español! As always….we will have snacks and fun. Ms. Jordan’s room 206 from after school until 4:45.
- Winter Break is December 22nd, 2014 – January 2nd, 2015.
- Ski Club members passes can be picked up if all forms are in. See Mr. Ising. Also we are opening sign-ups for the 1st trip on Jan 9th. To sign up pay $20 to Mr Ising for bus and pizza. Sign ups need to be in by Jan 7th to obtain busses for this 1st trip.
- Parents - If your student will be taking their driver’s permit test during the two week Christmas break, you will need to come by the guidance office on or before Dec. 19 to sign and pick up their School Compliance Verification form. The guidance office will be closed during the break.
- Below is the list of our 2014 SOHS Reflection pieces that will be going on to the STATE level for this year.
- DANCE: Stephanie Downs
- MUSIC: India Brown, Sam Jackie
- LITERATURE: Daniel Mutter, Kailey Oliveros, Miles Beliar
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Madison Perdue, Rachel Ann Vazzana, Jessica Bennett
- FILM PRODUCTION: Peyton Aston, Julia Age, Timothy Clayton
- VISUAL ARTS: Riley Hunter Burton, Kelsey McLeod, Alexander Powell
Good LUCK to our winners and A BIG Congratulations!
- SOHS Girls Lacrosse mandatory organizational meeting for players and parents will be held on Wednesday, January 14th, at 7pm in the SOHS cafeteria. This meeting is for both returning and new players. If you have any questions, contact Coach Newton at JRNTAIL410@yahoo.com or via phone at 502.220.7846.
- Jeans for Teens is back! FCCLA is collecting jeans to donate to The Closet. Help to win an ice cream social for your 6th period class. The Closet is a local organization that supplies FREE clothing. The Closet services 24,000 people from Carol, Henry, Oldham, Shelby, and Trimble counties. 6,000 families will have been served by the end of 2014. 68% of those families served live in the Oldham County. Donate to your neighbor by bringing in your old and gently used jeans to the lobby. Our focus is Jeans for Teens but we will take jeans from all ages. The drive is December 10th-19th and January 5th-9th.
- The next Anime Club meeting will be in JANUARY on the 13th in the library from 3:45-4;45. Students must be picked up by 5:00 PM at the latest! We will be doing readings of Anime/Manga Fan Fiction.
- FYI from PTSA: As you know, we have many hard working bus drivers and monitors in our school district. Right now, we have a shortage of drivers which means our drivers are working even harder to transport our students and keep them safe. A group of volunteers are making one dozen of cookies to give to our hard working bus drivers and monitors as a thank you for Christmas. Jennifer Beckner will transport the cookies to the transportation department on December 18. If you are willing to make a dozen of cookies to help, please let her know. She can arrange to pick up the cookies you donate. I hope this small gesture will let our bus drivers know that we are so appreciative of their service to our community. Jennifer can be reached at 758-0869 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Commonwealth Honors Academy (CHA) is an exciting, challenging three-week academic, social and personal growth program for outstanding high school students who have completed their junior year. Students will be selected from the Commonwealth and surrounding region. Upon completion of the Academy, students will: receive six hours of university credit, have the opportunity to take three hours of tuition-free university courses at Murray State University during the subsequent fall and spring semesters, be awarded a four-year, $2,000-per-year housing scholarship to attend Murray State University. For more information and application go to: http://www.murraystate.edu/cha/introduction.htm. Application deadline is March 1, 2015.
- ATTENTION SOHS STUDENTS AND PARENTS: Remember to check the SOHS Guidance Web page @ http://sohsguidance.weebly.com/enrichment-opportunities.html to find a variety of Enrichment activities and Opportunities. This page will be updated regularly so check in often.
- Anyone interested in trying out for baseball this spring that has not already been in contact with the coaching staff should send their contact information (email address, player name and grade) to Monica at email@example.com
- Please leave your Nintendo devices at home. Using them at school causes the wireless network to fail.
- ESS schedule: Tuesday – English and Science; Wednesday – Math; Thursday – English, Math, and Social Studies. Foreign language must be scheduled with the teacher.
- ATTENTION JUNIORS AND SENIORS & PARENTS: If you are planning on using a college visit please remember that you need to submit a request in writing from a parent/guardian to the attendance office no later than a week prior to the first day of absence. Juniors you are allowed 1 college visit and seniors you are allowed 2 college visits. If you do not submit your request to the attendance office a week prior to the first day of absence you not be eligible to use your allocated College Visit days. Also remember that College Visitation Policy follows the same as the OCBE Vacation Policy which may not be used before or after an extended break such as three-day weekends and holiday breaks.
- ATTENTION SENIORS: To be eligible for PTSA scholarship a parent and Senior Student must be a member of the PTSA.
- FCA will meet every Wednesday at 8:05 in the GYM.
- Veterans Memorial Park of Kentucky is hosting a contest open to all public and private Oldham County students. The contest includes two competitions:
* Create a video up to two minutes on the project with a focus on youth participation (this would be the type of video that is uploaded to YouTube). The contest winner would receive $200.
* Create an artist rendering of a completed Park. The contest winner would receive $100.
The entries are due no later than January 2nd. See attached fliers for details.
12/18 - 6:00pm Boys Freshman and JV Basketball @Martha Layne Collins
12/19 - 6:00pm Girls Varsity Basketball vs Central (South Oldham Lady Dragon Hoop Fest)
7:30pm Girls Varsity Swimming @Multiple Opponents (GIRLS NIGHT OUT @ U of L)
12/20 – TBA Boys Varsity Basketball @Multiple Opponents (SPENCER COUNTY TOURNAMENT)
TBA Girls Varsity Basketball vs Multiple Opponents (LADY DRAGON HOOP FEST)
9:00am Boys Varsity Wrestling @Multiple Oppnts. (FIVE STAR CLASSIC @ LAFAYETTE)
11:15am Boys Freshman Basketball vs Christian Academy (9TH LEAGUE GAME @ SOHS)
12/21 – Various Practices
If you have an announcement you need added to this list, please send it to this email address (SHDaily.Announcements@oldham.kyschools.us) 24-hours prior to when you want the announcement to be listed.