Click here for the updated Dress Code!
The Minority SBDM Representative election will be on Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014, 8am to 4pm. SOHS parent, Rick Smith, has been nominated for the position. Click on the bio below for more information about Mr. Smith. Please make sure to stop by school and vote for Rick Smith. If you have any questions, please contact Christy Michaud, SOHS PTSA President, at email@example.com
Rick Smith bio
November 21, 2014
THIS WEEK AT SOUTH
- Attention all Mu Alpha Theta members: Don’t forget to sign up for tutoring hours on Mrs. Holder’s door. We can use help with ESS on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. All members must earn 4 hours of tutoring. Any hours beyond these 4 can count toward your participation hours or service hours needed for other clubs and organizations.
- Attention current SOHS families, SOHS is needing to fill the SBDM Minority Parent Representative position. This is a short term position that concludes on June 30, 2015.
Qualifications: Parent members on a site-based council shall be the parent, stepparent, foster parent, or legal guardian of a student(s) in the school during the term the parent serves. This parent shall not be an employee or a relative of an employee of that school, or the district central office. Local school board members are also disqualified.
If interested in joining the site-based council, please fill out the attached forms. The deadline will be Friday, November 21, 2014.
Elections for the SBDM Minority Parent Rep will be on Wednesday, December 4, 2014
If you have any questions, please contact Christy Michaud, SOHS PTSA President, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 417-7674.
- Mu Alpha Theta students who could not make the Tuesday morning meeting can attend a make-up meeting on Monday, November 24th at 8:10 AM in room 220. If you have a school related conflict with this meeting, you can also see Ms. Jones before school this week for more information. Since the original date was cancelled due to the snow day, students will not be counted absent as long as they attend one of the alternate dates (11/18 or 11/24) or see Ms. Jones before school this week to pick up information.
- A representative from UofL Speed School will be at South on Monday, December 1st to talk with students about the different types of engineering degrees and careers. The presentation will be from 4-5pm in room 220. All students are invited to attend.
- NHS Pizza Party! The next National Honor Society meeting will be a pizza party on December 4th at 4pm in the cafeteria. All members should make plans to attend this meeting. If you have questions about NHS, please contact Dr. Bentley.
- Please see attached flyer for information about CIEE’s Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) Scholarship Program – application deadline is Dec. 5.
- We would like to thank ALL the following students for submitting pieces for the Reflection Theme this school year 2014:
- DANCE: Stephanie Downs
- MUSIC: India Brown, Sam Jackie
- LITERATURE: Miles Beliar, Ashton Bergman, Michael Bristow, Ashley Ford. Collin Higgs, Caden Holbrook, Joseph Logsdon, Riley McCartney, Daniel Mutter, Kailey Oliveros, Alexis Poppleton, Anthony Tivo Sanatana, Shae Singer, Gabrielle Wilson, LJ Wrightington
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Jessica Bennett, Meg Blackford, Elleen Cole, Victoria Crable, Kristen Gagel, Rachel Grant, Tony Lin, Jermisha Lovely, Mason Patrick, Madison ???, Minanda Reaves, Emilia Simons, Austin Workman, Rachel Ann Vazzana
- FILM PRODUCTION: Julie Age, Peyton Aston, Timothy Clayton, Lauren Harris, Alexander Houlton, Tanner Johnson, LeAnn Payne, Avery Periard, Grace Sterling
- VISUAL ARTS: Griffin Allen, Armando Pichardo-Avila, Nathan Bauer, Kaelyn Mae Beach, Hope Bednarczyk, Francesca Boyatt, Cherie Burke, Riley Hunter Burton, Jacon Childers, Caleb Clark, Caitlin Cochran, Katelyn Creager, Julie Dean, Madelyn Disney, Victoria Dorado, Demi Duncan, Syney Frantz, Nick Giglio, Michael Higgins, Mitchell Hobbs, Dyllon Hoover, Chanse Laz, Hannah Leskody, Josefina Lopez, Kelsey McLeod, Calen Miller, Bailey Moberly, Erin Pieragowski, Alexandar Powell, Hannah Ray, Sarah Shaiegan, Aidab Skeeters, Nicholas Strobl, Olivia Straub, Elisabeth Tapp, Elizabeth Wethington, Dorion Blake Yates
- A FALL SEASON TO REMEMBER
Girls Soccer: STATE CHAMPS; Title #7 for Coach Cy Tucker.
Boys XC: STATE CHAMPS by one point over St. X.
Boys Soccer: Coach Burke leads the Dragons to their first Final 4.
Football: 3 Straight District Titles under Coach Reed.
Girls XC: 5th place finish in the state championships.
Marching Dragons: 7th place finish in the state under Mr. McAllister.
Mr. Romney and SOHS Choir students gave a mind-blowing performance of Carmina Burana with the Louisville Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb6bhthChws
- It's that time of year again: our Christmas Food Drive! This year, we will be helping 300 local Oldham county families to celebrate Christmas. Food drive boxes will be placed in your first period teacher's classrooms. We need: canned and boxed goods, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and children's books. Cash donations and checks are appreciated too (to purchase perishables). There is a little Christmas competition as well! The first period class that collects the most will be treated to breakfast! What better way to start the day? Toiletries are 1 point, canned or boxed foods worth 2 points, and children's books worth 5 points. Collections run from Nov. 10th - Dec. 5th! Share your holiday cheer!
- ATTENTION SOHS STUDENTS AND PARENTS: Remember to check the SOHS Guidance Web page @ http://sohsguidance.weebly.com/enrichment-opportunities.html to find a variety of Enrichment activities and Opportunities. This page will be updated regularly so check in often.
- Anyone interested in trying out for baseball this spring that has not already been in contact with the coaching staff should send their contact information (email address, player name and grade) to Monica at email@example.com
- Please leave your Nintendo devices at home. Using them at school causes the wireless network to fail.
- ESS schedule: Tuesday – English and Science; Wednesday – Math; Thursday – English, Math, and Social Studies. Foreign language must be scheduled with the teacher.
- ATTENTION JUNIORS AND SENIORS & PARENTS: If you are planning on using a college visit please remember that you need to submit a request in writing from a parent/guardian to the attendance office no later than a week prior to the first day of absence. Juniors you are allowed 1 college visit and seniors you are allowed 2 college visits. If you do not submit your request to the attendance office a week prior to the first day of absence you not be eligible to use your allocated College Visit days. Also remember that College Visitation Policy follows the same as the OCBE Vacation Policy which may not be used before or after an extended break such as three-day weekends and holiday breaks.
- ATTENTION SENIORS: To be eligible for PTSA scholarship a parent and Senior Student must be a member of the PTSA.
- FCA will meet every Wednesday at 8:05 in the GYM.
- Veterans Memorial Park of Kentucky is hosting a contest open to all public and private Oldham County students. The contest includes two competitions:
* Create a video up to two minutes on the project with a focus on youth participation (this would be the type of video that is uploaded to YouTube). The contest winner would receive $200.
* Create an artist rendering of a completed Park. The contest winner would receive $100.
The entries are due no later than January 2nd. See attached fliers for details.
11/21 – None
11/22 – TBA KHSAA 8TH REGION CHAMPIONSHIPS (Girls Varsity Cheerleading @ Shelby County)
9:00am Boys Varsity Wrestling vs Multiple Opponents (SOHS WRESTLING SCRIMMAGE)
12:30pm Girls Varsity Basketball @Lexington Catholic (Scrimmage)
2:00pm Boys Varsity Basketball @Augusta (SCRIMMAGE @ PARIS H.S. PARIS, KY)
If you have an announcement you need added to this list, please send it to this email address (SHDaily.Announcements@oldham.kyschools.us) 24-hours prior to when you want the announcement to be listed.