Click here for the updated Dress Code!
October 1st, 2014
THIS WEEK AT SOUTH
- Stammtisch members. T-shirt orders are due by 1 October. If you wish to purchase this years shirt you must pay no later than the 1st. See Herr Effingham for sizes and colors available.
- National ART Honor Society will meet October 1st in room 210 from 4 to 6 PM. Bring yarn and crochet needles for a crochet tutorial. Don't forget to bring food and soft drinks for service hours.
- The mock trial team meeting, scheduled for Thursday, October 2nd before school, is cancelled. Check Ms. Heineman’s door for a rescheduled date and time.
- The Interact club (community service club) will be meeting on Thursday Oct 2nd in room 138. There will be pizza. Everyone is welcome.
- 16 SOHS Choir students will be auditioning for the anuual KMEA All-State Choir on Thursday, October 2 at Anderson County High School. Wish them luck!
- The South Oldham High School Marching Dragons will be hosting the Dragon Classic this Saturday, October 4, 2014. We will need every available space in our and surrounding parking lots to park visiting/competing band vehicles, trailers and cars. If you have an event here at the South Campus Friday night, please have your vehicle moved by 8:00 am Saturday morning.
- Seniors – A Representative from Vanderbilt University will be at school on October 6 at 8:30 in the guidance office. Feel free to stop by on that day before classes if you are interested in more information about Vanderbilt.
- Seniors – Representatives from Mercer University, Transylvania University and Lindsey Wilson College will be at school on Monday, October 6th at 10:45. If you are interested in meeting with any of these colleges, please see Mrs. Jaggers in guidance for your College Pass.
- Attention all students in advanced or AP math classes: The national math honor society, Mu Alpha Theta, is now accepting applications. You can pick one up from your math teacher. Applications and registration fees can be turned into Mrs. Holder before or after school in room 216 and are due Friday October 10th. Our first meeting for new and returning members will be Monday, October 13th at 8AM in room 220.
- There will be an Informational meeting for the Governor Scholar Program on October 7th at 7:00pm for all interested SOHS Juniors and their parents in the South Oldham High School Cafeteria. Attendance is not mandatory to apply to GSP, but important deadlines, procedures and tips will be discussed. A handout will be available in the Guidance Office on October 8th for those who could not attend the meeting. If both parent and student cannot attend together, either is welcome to attend on their own. The application is now up on the GSP website. Feel free to check it out at www.gsp.ky.gov. The GSP applications are due in the Guidance Office at 8:45am on November 17th, no exceptions.
- Attention all students in advanced or AP math classes: The national math honor society, Mu Alpha Theta, is now accepting applications. You can pick one up from your math teacher. Applications and registration fees can be turned into Mrs. Holder before or after school in room 216 and are due Friday October 10th. Our first meeting for new and returning members will be Monday, October 13th at 8AM in room 220. See Ms. Jones or Mrs. Holder with any questions.
- Ski Club
Please join the Ski Club.. we have a great time!
All info outside rm 135. 1) Turn in all forms 2) Pay $15 dues to Mr Ising 3) Buy $8 school insurance 4) Buy pass on-line through Perfect North
- PTSA and Boosters Announcement:
Attention Juniors/Seniors: Oldham County Community Scholarship distributed $78,600 in scholarship funds to deserving graduating Seniors this past year and have set a goal to increase that number for 2015. SOHS PTSA and SOHS Booster Club are just a couple of the many organizations that have scholarships available.
You are invited to attend our Annual Meeting, which will be held on October 7, 2014 at 6 pm. It will last less than an hour and light refreshments will be served. We'll share who we are, what we do, what we've accomplished so far and our goals for this year.
Those that would benefit from attendance are parents that have a High School Senior or soon to be Senior so they can learn about our scholarship process or individuals, businesses or organizations that are wanting to give back to the community by offering a scholarship or volunteering.
The annual meeting for Oldham County Community Scholarships is being held at 314 Exchange, located at 314 Mt. Mercy Drive in Pewee Valley, KY. It is next to Pewee Valley City Hall, just down from the red caboose. They will also be in attendance at the next College and Career Night at South Oldham High School October 14, 2014 7-8 pm to answer any questions.
- G.A.T.E.’s and the Oldham County Schools Arts Center invite ALL High School students interested in getting an arts related college degree to attend the Arts and Communication Symposium on Tuesday, October 14th from 8am-2pm at the Arts Center. Interested students can go to the Oldham County School District or Arts Center’s websites for more information and to download forms. This is a FREE event and an excused absence. All you need is approval by you assistant principal. All forms need to be turned in to your GATES building coordinator by October 8th.
- South Oldham High School was one of six area high schools chosen by the Louisville Orchestra to perform with them in Carl Orff's large work Carmina Burana this October 16 and 17. Fifteen SOHS Choir students will be singing with 350 other singers from Floyd Central, Eastern, Ballard, Male, and YPAS, as well as the Collegiate Chorale from UofL, Voces Novae, and the Louisville Chamber Choir. The concerts are open to the public and tickets can be obtained at the Kentucky Center for the Arts box office.
- Reflection packets ARE available for students to pick up in the office. They will be due Oct. 29 after fall break. Each student needs to summit two copies. The theme this year is
“The World Would BE A BETTER PLACE IF…
- Anyone currently playing a fall sport that plans to try-out for boys basketball team must see Coach Simpson in the gym to sign up.
- Anyone interested in trying out for baseball this spring that has not already been in contact with the coaching staff should send their contact information (email address, player name and grade) to Monica at email@example.com
- ATTENTION STUDENTS GRADES 9, 10, & 11:
Governor’s School for Entrepreneurs (GSE) will begin its application period on November 1-December 12, 2014
Apply online: http://KentuckyGSE.com
No minimum GPA or test scores considered
Students who attend GSE’s three-week, residential program will learn from guest speakers, take field trips to innovative businesses and work with professional mentors. Applying STEM skills they design and build a prototype of their innovative product or service. The session culminates with the teams giving an oral business pitch presentation to an outside panel of entrepreneurs, investors and professionals. See the website for student testimonials and more information
- Please leave your Nintendo devices at home. Using them at school causes the wireless network to fail.
- The Oldham County School District is providing Office 365 to every one of our students free of charge. This automatically updatable, subscription-based software will allow you to always have the latest version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more.
- Install on up to 5 compatible PCs and Macs, plus 5 tablets
- Use with OneDrive for automatic device syncing
- Gain valuable skills on the world’s most popular productivity software
- Use the same programs as the educators to ensure full file fidelity
This offer is available to all students at South Oldham High School. To get your free Office 365, visit Office.com/GetOffice365and follow the download instructions. If you have any trouble, contact Ms. Gnadinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
When you are loading the software, you will be asked for your Organizational Account. That is your student’s school email address. The password is the student’s school computer password. No other special codes are required. You may also want to look on this site to get the information on downloads for tablets and phones: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/
- The PSAT will be given this year on Wednesday, October 15. Any freshmen, sophomores, or juniors that would like to take the test need to bring $20 to Mr. Beall ASAP. The deadline has been extended until further notice. He will be in the cafeteria from 8:00-8:40 each morning. This test is the qualifying tests for juniors that are interested in the National Merit Program and can also be used as part of your Governor’s Scholars Program application. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Beall.
- ESS schedule: Tuesday – English and Science; Wednesday – Math; Thursday – English, Math, and Social Studies. Foreign language must be scheduled with the teacher.
- ATTENTION JUNIORS AND SENIORS & PARENTS: If you are planning on using a college visit please remember that you need to submit a request in writing from a parent/guardian to the attendance office no later than a week prior to the first day of absence. Juniors you are allowed 1 college visit and seniors you are allowed 2 college visits. If you do not submit your request to the attendance office a week prior to the first day of absence you not be eligible to use your allocated College Visit days. Also remember that College Visitation Policy follows the same as the OCBE Vacation Policy which may not be used before or after an extended break such as three-day weekends and holiday breaks.
- ATTENTION SENIORS: To be eligible for PTSA scholarship a parent and Senior Student must be a member of the PTSA.
- Student Drivers – If you park in the area where the band practices your vehicle must be moved everyday by 4:00. Thanks for your cooperation.
- FCA will meet every Wednesday at 8:05 in the GYM.
- Veterans Memorial Park of Kentucky is hosting a contest open to all public and private Oldham County students. The contest includes two competitions:
* Create a video up to two minutes on the project with a focus on youth participation (this would be the type of video that is uploaded to YouTube). The contest winner would receive $200.
* Create an artist rendering of a completed Park. The contest winner would receive $100.
The entries are due no later than January 2nd. See attached fliers for details.
Today - 6:00 pm BoysJunior Varsity Soccer @ North Oldham
7:30 pm BoysVarsity Soccer @ North Oldham
10/2 - 5:30 pm Girls Freshman Volleyball vs Presentation Academy
6:00 pm Girls Varsity Field Hockey vs Mercy Academy
6:00 pm Girls Junior Varsity Soccer @ Sacred Heart Academy (MUSTANG JV CLASSIC)
6:30 pm Girls Junior Varsity Volleyball vs Presentation Academy
7:30 pm Girls Junior Varsity Field Hockey vs Mercy Academy
7:30 pm Girls Varsity Volleyball vs Presentation Academy
10/3 - 7:30 pm Boys Varsity Football @ Grant County
TBAGirlsJunior Varsity Soccer@Multiple Opponents (Meet)
(LADY MUSTANG JV CLASSIC FINALS)
TBAGirlsVarsity Volleyball@Multiple Opponents (Meet)(JCIVT TOURNAMENT)
10/4 - 10:00 am Coed Varsity Band vs Multiple Opponents (Meet) (SOHS BAND COMPETITION)
4:00 pm Girls Junior Varsity Soccer @ Paul Laurence Dunbar School
6:00 pm Girls Varsity Soccer @ Tates Creek
TBACoedVarsity Cross Country@Multiple Opponents (Meet)(GRTR LOU. CLASSIC-ELITE RACE)
TBAGirlsVarsity Volleyball@Multiple Opponents (Meet)(JCIVT TOURNAMENT)
If you have an announcement you need added to this list, please send it to this email address (SHDaily.Announcements@oldham.kyschools.us) 24-hours prior to when you want the announcement to be listed.