Click here for the updated Dress Code!
Make -up for days update:
The district has changed the order of several makeup days. School will now be in session Feb. 16 (President’s Day) and March 25, which will be an early release day. This will makeup for the Nov. 17 and Jan. 8 cancellations.
We have received comments that students should not be required to makeup the Jan. 8 cancellation. However, state requirements mandate we be in school a certain number of days each year and it is not an option for us to not make up that day.
Previously, March 25 was an off day for students and a full professional development day for teachers. Teachers will not be required to make up those professional development hours.
You can access the revised calendar by visiting the district webpage and clicking on the calendar at the top, or by visiting this link: http://www.oldham.k12.ky.us/files/calendar/2014-2015SchoolCalendar.pdf
January 21, 2015
THIS WEEK AT SOUTH.
1/21 – 3:45 PM Boys Tennis 2015 organizational meeting (School Library)
6:00 PM SOHS and OCHS Wrestling Benefit for Cedar Lake Lodge
Students are invited to Stop by the Drug/Alcohol awareness table in the lobby on Wednesday 1/21 for snacks, fun activity, and more.
Ski Club: Record turnout 1st week! Sign up for 2nd trip this Fri the 23rd January by paying $20 bus fee to Mr Ising by Thursday. Can also sign up for the Jan 30th trip. Shout out to Mr Roarx, Mrs Gresham, and Mr Tank... for chaperoning.
The next National Honor Society (NHS) meeting will be Tuesday January 27th at 4 pm in the cafeteria. Please contact Dr. Bentley with any questions.
- SOHS Parking NEWS: at this time, we DO NOT have any more student parking permits for sale!
- FREE ACT PREP: Ms. Evanko, Ms. Hudson, and Mr. Ross will be leading free ACT Preparation sessions in Math, Science, and English for any sophomore or junior who are interested in learning tips to help them conquer the ACT successfully. The sessions will be on Saturday, Jan. 31st, and Saturday, Feb. 7th from 10-1, and Wednesday, Feb. 11th from 4-7. This will be followed by an ACT practice exam on Saturday, Feb. 21st from 10-1. For more information see the attached flier.
- Oldham County Summer Scholars 2015
Attention freshmen, sophomores and juniors:
If you are interested in applying for Oldham County Summer Scholars (OCSS) for this upcoming summer, please go to the District website for links to the application and more information. Click the Oldham County Summer Scholars icon on the left hand side of the District’s home page.
Applications are due February 13th to Mrs. Moulder’s mailbox in the office. Email Mrs. Moulder with any questions you may have (Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Even though this is a GATES-sponsored program, all students are encouraged to apply. OCSS is a competitive academic program where students are selected to participate in a pre-college level class. Once selected, the student will explore an Intensive area of study as well as delve into an Exploratory area of study. Taught by our top instructors from across the district's schools, OCSS promises to be an exciting opportunity for those students who want to grow and learn.
- Established in 1989, the Oldham County Educational foundation fosters business and community support for Oldham County Schools. OCEF supports the educational mission of the Oldham County Board of Education by providing monetary support for program outside of the district’s budget. Currently, OCEF is focused on several key funding priorities: STEM initiatives (science, technology, engineering and math), gifted and talented services, the Oldham County Schools Arts Center and the annual Pyramid Awards for innovative classroom instruction. For more information go to www.ocef.info.
- Registration for Spring Recreational Soccer is now open. Available leagues include U4/U5 and U6 Little Kicks, U8 and U10 Boys and Girls local leagues, and U12, U14, and High School travel teams. To register or for more information go to www.ocysa.org or see the flier attached.
- The Commonwealth Honors Academy (CHA) is an exciting, challenging three-week academic, social and personal growth program for outstanding high school students who have completed their junior year. Students will be selected from the Commonwealth and surrounding region. Upon completion of the Academy, students will: receive six hours of university credit, have the opportunity to take three hours of tuition-free university courses at Murray State University during the subsequent fall and spring semesters, be awarded a four-year, $2,000-per-year housing scholarship to attend Murray State University. For more information and application go to: http://www.murraystate.edu/cha/introduction.htm. Application deadline is March 1, 2015.
- The baseball team will have their annual dinner and auction on Saturday, March 7th at the John Black Community Center in Buckner. For information on the event or to preview auction items, please go to the SOHS ANNUAL DINNER & AUCTION page on Facebook by doing a search or following this link https://www.facebook.com/SOHSBASEBALLAUCTION
- ATTENTION SOHS STUDENTS AND PARENTS: Remember to check the SOHS Guidance Web page @ http://sohsguidance.weebly.com/enrichment-opportunities.html to find a variety of Enrichment activities and Opportunities. This page will be updated regularly so check in often.
- Anyone interested in trying out for baseball this spring that has not already been in contact with the coaching staff should send their contact information (email address, player name and grade) to Monica at email@example.com
- Please leave your Nintendo devices at home. Using them at school causes the wireless network to fail.
- ESS schedule: Tuesday – English and Science; Wednesday – Math; Thursday – English, Math, and Social Studies. Foreign language must be scheduled with the teacher.
- ATTENTION JUNIORS AND SENIORS & PARENTS: If you are planning on using a college visit please remember that you need to submit a request in writing from a parent/guardian to the attendance office no later than a week prior to the first day of absence. Juniors you are allowed 1 college visit and seniors you are allowed 2 college visits. If you do not submit your request to the attendance office a week prior to the first day of absence you not be eligible to use your allocated College Visit days. Also remember that College Visitation Policy follows the same as the OCBE Vacation Policy which may not be used before or after an extended break such as three-day weekends and holiday breaks.
- ATTENTION SENIORS: To be eligible for PTSA scholarship a parent and Senior Student must be a member of the PTSA.
- FCA will meet every Wednesday at 8:05 in the GYM.
1/21 - 3:50pm SOHS BOYS TENNIS ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING (Library)
6:00pm Girls Freshman Basketball vs North Oldham (MAXX PREPS/NATIONAL GUARD GSO NIGHT)
6:00pm Boys Varsity Wrestling @Oldham County
7:30pm Girls Varsity Basketball vs North Oldham (MAXX PREPS/NATIONAL GUARD GSO NIGHT)
1/22 - 6:00pm Boys Junior Varsity Basketball vs Western Hills
6:00pm Girls Junior Varsity Basketball @Grant County
7:30pm Boys Varsity Basketball vs Western Hills
7:30pm Girls Varsity Basketball @Grant County
1/23 - 6:00pm Boys Junior Varsity Basketball @Henry County
7:30pm Boys Varsity Basketball @Henry County
1/24 - 10:00am Girls Freshman Basketball @Christian Academy of Louisville
10:00am Boys Varsity Wrestling vs Multiple Opponents (SOHS WRESTLING INVITATIONAL)
5:00pm Coed Varsity Swimming vs Multiple Opponents (OLDHAM COUNTY SCHOOL MEET @ U OF L)
1/25 - 9:00am JUNIOR WRESTLING TOURNAMENT
If you have an announcement you need added to this list, please send it to this email address (SHDaily.Announcements@oldham.kyschools.us) 24-hours prior to when you want the announcement to be listed.