Registration Information & Forms are NOW available!
New Students Returning Students
School Supply List for the 2014-2015 School Year
Locust Grove Elementary Summer Reading Challenge
Who: Locust Grove Students, Grades 1-5 (2014-15 School Year)
What: Challenge to READ as much as possible over the summer!
When: June 7- August 19…SUMMER BREAK!!
Where: Anywhere and Everywhere!! That is what is so great about reading!
Why: Although we are taking a break from school…we never want to take a break from READING!! Research shows that kids who don’t read over the summer can lose as much as 3 months of the growth they made as a reader during the school year! You never, ever, ever, want that to happen to you!!
How: The challenge is easy!!
1. READ, READ, READ…as much as you can!!
2. If you are reading story or picture books, complete one link for each book you read.
3. If you are reading chapter books, complete one link for every 30 minutes you read.
4. On August 19th, the night before school starts, cut your links apart and hook them together to make a chain.
5. Bring your chain to school on the first day! In your new classroom, you and your new classmates will all hook their chains together to make an even bigger chain!
6. On the second day of school all of the classrooms in your grade level with get together to hook the chains together to make an EVEN BIGGER chain!!
7. On the third day of school, ALL LOCUST GROVE LIONS will meet in the gym to see which grade level as the LONGEST chain!! This gathering will include a celebration with a Popsicle Party.
8. The grade level with the LONGEST chain will win the first field trip of the year!
9. If you run out of links, and I know you will , you can download more from our school webpage!
LG Lions Summer Literacy Links